Daikin's Environmental Vision 2050
As a leader in the HVAC-R* industry we contribute to high quality of life, comfort, reliable infrastructures, food security and economic growth in a broad variety of industries. However, the growing need for cooling, heating and ventilation has also an impact on global warming due to increasing electricity consumption and refrigerant emissions. At Daikin, we take this responsibility serious.
"Globally, we aim to provide safe and healthy air environments while striving to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2050."
How do we get there?
- Through products with high energy efficiency and through the development and use of refrigerants with lower global warming potential, especially R-32 or CO2.
- Through solutions that optimize the energy management of heating and cooling systems – for instance via remote control or by fostering the circular economy for refrigerants in order to re-use them as valuable resource.
- Through the power of air by providing air environments that protect people’s health.
* HVAC-R Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning, Refrigeration
Closing the L∞p towards a greener future
Determined to reduce Daikin’s environmental impact, we are closing the loop towards a circular economy for refrigerants. L∞p by Daikin – Recover – Reclaim – Reuse is our unique refrigerant recycling service and an essential part of Daikin’s commitment to create a sustainable future. Join our mission and learn how you can contribute to our circular economy of refrigerants.
What we already achieved?
We reduce global warming effects of refrigerants
- Daikin was the first company worldwide that introduced air conditioners, heat pumps and scroll chillers using R-32 refrigerant with a three times lower global warming potential than R-410-A.*
- Since 2019 Daikin Industries, Ltd. has granted free access to a list of 300 pledged patents in relation to HVAC-R equipment using R-32, which allows other manufacturers to reduce the environmental impact of refrigerants.**
- With circular economy initiatives such as L∞P by Daikin VRV heat pumps and the L∞P by Daikin - Recover - Reclaim - Reuse program for key accounts and investors Daikin Europe N. V. and Daikin Central Europe avoid the production of 250.000 kg of virgin gas per year.
- In 2020 Daikin Europe N. V. initiated Retradeables, Europe’s first online-marketplace to enable the recovery, reclaim and re-use of refrigerants for the entire HVAC-R industry. As consortium partner of the EU-Life-program we started the project in May 2021 in Slovakia, Czech Republic and Hungary.
Source: * Daikin Europe N. V.’s Environmental Report 2020 , ** Daikin Industries Ltd. Press Release 2021
We reduce CO2 emissions
- Our global efforts to lower greenhouse gas emissions from residential air-conditioners resulted in savings of 70 million tons of CO2 equivalent in 2020 compared to business as usual.*
- In the same year greenhouse gas emissions from our production activities were lowered to 1.08 million tons-CO2 (79 % reduction over fiscal year 2005).*
- Daikin Europe N. V. reduced transport-related CO2 emissions per sales volume (m3) from 8,8 kg/m3 in 2016 to 7,3 kg/m3 in 2019 due to higher efficiency of truck loading and increased shipping by sea instead of transport by road.**
Sources: * Daikin Industries Ltd Sustainability Report 2021, ** Daikin Europe N. V.’s Environmental Report 2020
Our Green Procurement Guidelines
- We encourage suppliers to practise environmental sustainability for instance by ISO14001 certifications.
- In fiscal year 2020 98 % of our suppliers in Europe met the assessment criteria of our green procurement guidelines. Our green procurement rate* is 80 % within the entire Daikin Group.
Source: Daikin Industries Ltd Sustainability Report 2021
* Green procurement rate = Value of goods procured from suppliers who meet our assessment criteria/Value of goods procured
Our Green Heart Factory Standard
- Our in-house evaluation method measures the impact of our factories on the use of water, energy, fluorocarbons as well as waste and volatile organic emissions. Daikin Europe N. V. Ostend factory was certified by a silver medal (2018) and a gold medal (2019).
Source: Daikin Europe N. V.’s Environmental Report 2020
Our contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals
- Daikin supports the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations by using world-class technologies to reduce the environmental impact of cooling and heating while at the same time providing new value for a healthy, comfortable way of living. We contribute to local economic development and offer growth opportunities to our employees based on our people-centered management approach. By following our co-creation principle we strive to find better solutions together with all stakeholders.
Source: Daikin Industries Ltd. Sustainability Report 2021
This could also interest you
Daikin Europe Environmental Report 2020PDF | 2.66MB
Daikin Industries Ltd Sustainability Report 2021PDF | 7.35MB